Applying for hazardous substance approvals

You need to get approval if you are importing, moving, or using a new hazardous substance.

We can guide you through the application process, and give you advice on what you need to do.

The application process for hazardous substance approvals

There are steps you need to take to get approval to import or manufacture a new hazardous substance in Aotearoa New Zealand.

How long it takes to process a new application

When you are applying for approval to import or manufacture a hazardous substance, you can estimate how long the approval process takes.

Apply for a reassessment or amendment

Anyone can apply to have a substance reassessed or amend an approval. There are a number of different ways to go about this, depending on the situation.

Approval to import or manufacture a new substance for release

If you are importing or manufacturing a pesticide, veterinary medicine, or other hazardous substance for use in New Zealand, you must ensure it's approved. If i…

Approval to import or manufacture a substance in a contained location

If you are importing or manufacturing a hazardous substance in a contained location in New Zealand, you need a containment approval.

Transhipment approval for hazardous substances in transit through New Zealand

If you plan to bring a hazardous substance into New Zealand temporarily, you may need to apply for a transhipment approval before it can enter the country. Find…

Permit to import asbestos-containing products

Products with asbestos can only be imported into New Zealand under certain circumstances.

Apply for a certificate to import explosives

To import explosives already approved for use in New Zealand, you need an explosives import certificate.

Clearance to import children's graphic materials

If you plan to import or manufacture children's graphic materials, such as finger paints, crayons and watercolour paints, you must send us evidence to show the …

Apply for Emergency or Special Emergency approvals

In an emergency you may need to use a substance in a way that is not approved. You can apply for an emergency approval to do so.

Permission to use certain hazardous substances

Some approved hazardous substances need permission before you can use them. Find out which substances these are and how to apply.

Apply for a formal determination of the hazardous status of a substance

If you are unsure whether your substance is hazardous or is covered by an existing approval, you can apply for a formal determination.

Notify us about changes to the use or formulation of a vertebrate toxic agent

You must tell us if you plan any changes to the formulation of a Vertebrate Toxic Agent (VTA), or its intended use. We explain how here.