Importing and exporting hydrofluorocarbon gases (HFCs)

If you plan to import or export bulk HFC gases into or out of New Zealand, you must apply for a permit. Find out more here.

Under the law, "bulk HFC" means new or recycled HFC gas in an unprocessed form - alone or in a mixture - in a container used for gas transport or storage. HFCs in manufactured products, such as car air-conditioning systems or fire extinguishers, do not need an import or export permit.  

The rules for HFCs

The are limits on how much new bulk HFC can be imported into New Zealand.

Types of import permit and how to apply

Make sure you apply for the right type of permit to import your new or recycled HFCs. We explain how and when to apply here.

Apply for a permit to export HFCs

If you plan to export new or recycled HFCs, you must have an export permit. You can apply for a permit from us at any time of year and for any amount.

How to calculate the carbon dioxide equivalent for your HFC shipment

These resources explain how to make this calculation using an online tool, some of the technical terms, and how you use this calculation.

Current Grandparented Eligibility Holders

See details of the parties that are eligible to apply for grandparented permits

Transferring grandparented eligibility

Find out more about grandparented eligibility and how to transfer it.