Pet care products and medicines are used to treat your pet for fleas, mites and other pests, and to keep your pets health. Find out how to use and store these products to protect yourself, your pets and the environment.
111 in an emergency
Healthline on 0800 611 116 for medical advice
National Poisons Centre on 0800 764 766 for poisons advice
Using pet care products
- Use the right product. Ask your vet or pet shop which product is best to use for your pet.
- Read the label. It has safety information to keep you and your pet safe. For example, you may need to wear gloves.
- Follow the instructions. Your pet might get sick if you use a product in the wrong way. For example, using too much or using a treatment on a kitten that’s designed for a cat.
- Wash your hands thoroughly. It could irritate your skin if you don’t properly wash off pet care products.
Storing pet care products
- Store all pet care products high up, in a locked cupboard or cabinet. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from water, food or pet food.
- Keep in original bottle or box.
- There is important information on the label that you need, like safety instructions, the ingredients and expiry date.
- Never transfer to food or drink containers. It may be mistaken for food or drink, especially by children.
- Seal all containers properly before you put them away, and keep them clean and dry.
- Check the expiry date. It may no longer work if it has expired. Safely dispose of the product.
Getting rid of pet care products
- Follow the instructions on the label.
- Pet care products can harm the environment if not disposed of properly.
- Wrap and put into your household rubbish.
- Don’t pour directly down the drain.
- Take unwanted or unused medicines to your vet. They can use or dispose of the medicine.